Can We Change Our Prenup After Getting Married?

Yes, you can change your prenuptial agreement after getting married. Once you’re married, any changes or amendments to the original prenuptial agreement are typically referred to as a “postnuptial” or “post-marital” agreement. Both parties must agree to the changes for them to be valid.

Here are some points to consider:

  1. Mutual Consent: Just as with the initial prenuptial agreement, any changes made post-marriage must be agreed upon by both parties. Neither party can unilaterally change the terms of the agreement.
  2. Legal Counsel: Although laws vary by jurisdiction, it’s generally advisable (and in some places, required) for each party to seek independent legal counsel before modifying an existing agreement. This ensures that both parties understand the implications of the changes and that their rights are protected.
  3. Disclosure: If the changes involve financial matters, there may be a need for full financial disclosure again, especially if there have been significant changes in assets or liabilities since the prenup was first drafted.
  4. Writing and Formalities: Any changes to a prenuptial agreement should be made in writing to ensure they’re legally enforceable. The revised agreement, or postnuptial, usually needs to be signed and notarized, just like the original prenup, but requirements can vary based on jurisdiction.
  5. Reasons for Change: There are various reasons couples may want to modify their prenup after marriage, including changes in financial status, the birth of children, or simply a change in their feelings about the original terms.
  6. Limitations: While many aspects of a prenup can be changed, there are still limitations. For example, provisions concerning child custody or support usually cannot be predetermined or modified in a manner that would be against the child’s best interests.

Essentially, while you can certainly change your prenuptial agreement after marriage, it’s essential to follow the proper legal procedures and consult with an attorney to ensure that any amendments are valid and enforceable.

Call Us Today   (949) 999-2121